As a student athlete, you have to balance practice, team meetings and games with your studies, which can be hard. Our counselors in the Physical Education Department will help make it easier for you to win off the field. Working with you, they will provide:
Advisement and Counseling
· Accessible for drop-in and scheduled appointments for individual advising counseling, career exploration and personal counseling.
· Creating an Individualized Education Plans each semester based on skill levels, previous course work, grade point average and personal goals.
· Recommend Athletics Orientation and Career Planning classes and provide priority registration dates each for semester.
· Review academic, graduation, transfer and athletic eligibility requirements with you individually and through Team Advisement Workshops held each semester prior to registration.
· Monitor NCAA and NAIA regulations for transfer eligibility. We encourage you to complete the Associate Degree (or ADT), which includes 60 units, 48 units must be transferable with a minimum grade point average of 2.50 to compete at a Division I four-year institution.
· Review transcripts for Scholar Athletic recognition if you maintain a 3.00 grade point average or better in nine or more academic units.
· Refer you to free tutoring on any subject you need or lead you to one of our Tutoring Labs.
· Coordinate Group Tutoring Session in key general education courses (Math, English, and Science).
· Refer you to a professional Learning Specialist for assessment of possible educational learning difficulties.
· Refer you to health services for specialized issues that arise for college-aged students (eating disorders, addictions, mental health disorders).
· Facilitate Life Skills programming which includes but is not limited to:
- Study Skills (Test Anxiety, Note Taking, How to take online classes, Test preparation, etc.)
- Time Management
- Social Media Usage
- Stress Management
- Healthy Relationships
- Goal Setting
- Financial Literacy
For additional information, please call 408-741-2502 or contact an Athletics Counselor: